🎉 Power up your cards with drill-down

Datadeck makes it easy to create cards and visualize your data. Have you ever felt that sometimes you needed to create way too many cards just to form a top-down analytics flow - from a most high-level overview to the most detailed tables? If so, the newly added drill-down feature is designed for you.

Drill-down allows you to dig deeper into a subset of your data and get insight faster. For example, you can build a donut chart to display your sales volume by segment and set it up so that, when a segment is clicked, a time trend is shown for that segment.

All the power of this feature is packed within the already familiar card editor and dashboard. Conceptually it’s like creating multiple visualization layers within one card, which defines how the card should change during drill-down interaction. A card always shows the first layer on a dashboard initially, and when a part of a chart (or a row of a table) is clicked, the next layer is activated, showing the subset of data selected by the previous click.

It may sound a bit abstract. In this post, I’ll demonstrate how to set it up step by step.

First, let’s create a new card as usual. Here I’m using an excel file as input to build a donut chart showing sales volume by segment.

A careful reader might have noticed the new button at the top left corner. Yes, that’s exactly the trigger for turning on drill-down settings. Clicking on it gets you:

The top bar shows all drill-down layers already configured for the card. Since we just started, it shows only one. If you click the plus sign, it prompts you to pick a category field based on which the next layer should be created.

Here you’ll usually pick a field to group data in the new layer. You can change it anytime later too. I choose “Order Date” because I want to see for a selected segment, how sales changed over time.
After a layer is created, you can freely change its chart type and settings, as if it were completely an independent card (with the exception that you can’t modify date range). Here I change it to show an area chart:

You can keep creating more layers, but I’m stopping here and saving my card. Now back to the familiar dashboard, your brand new card is now “interactive”. Pretty cool isn’t it? And it’s always easy to get back to card editor and make adjustments.

One limitation of the feature: a drill-down operation always involves a filtering. Some of our data connectors have restrictions that certain fields cannot be used to filter data. As a consequence, these fields cannot be used to trigger drill-down either. We hope to be able to resolve most of these limitations in the future, but unlikely completely.

Hope you enjoy this new addition, and I’m eager to hear your feedback. Have a great data-driven day!

Datadeck Release Notes - Week 10, 2019

Looks so cool!:

gooooooood !

Nice feature!

very very nice feature! at first sight it looks like drilldown is ignoring filters. if yes then i would suggest that filters should be always respected since otherwise drilldowns are not really drilldowns from the current point of view (ie i set filters in a chart to “complete” orders of an online shop and then i want to see gender drilldown and suddenly also “cancelled” orders do appear).

maybe i am wrong since was only a first sight on feature. excellent work beside that! :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks, Frank! I’m glad you like it.

Filter is actually respected during drill-down. I think the confusion may have come from the card editor. When you’re in the editor, right now each drill-down layer is completely separated from other layers, so filters from previous layers are not inherited. However if you save the card and use the drill-down in dashboard, filters in previous layers are preserved.

Does this match your observation? We’re having some debate on the behavior inside of the editor and may make a change soon :smirk:

checked and confirmed :slightly_smiling_face::+1:t3: