🎉 How to Beta-Test the Zapier integration

For the latest Tutorial on Zapier, please read: How to Zap 1000+ data sources to Datadeck with Zapier

I’m happy to announce the Beta version of Datadeck’s Zapier integration. Zapier is a powerful web app automation platform. Datadeck’s Zapier integration allows you to import data from a wide variety of data sources.

In this post I’m going to explain how to activate our Beta features and give you a guided example on how to make your first Zapier-Datadeck integration.

1. Turn on Beta test mode

First you need to turn on Beta test mode for your space. Beware that you need to be a space owner or admin to do this.
image .

2. Create the Zapier connection in the new Data Manager

The Beta test switch turns on a new “Manage data beta” entrance in the bottom left corner.

Click “Add connection” and click Zapier:

3. Create a Zapier connection

In this guide we’ll create a Zapier connection for receiving the “New card created” trigger from Trello - a popular project management application. For this step it’s important to know what data you want to receive from Trello. In this case we will gather Trello’s: Card Name, Description and Last update data.

You’ve finished the setup in Datadeck, and now it’s time to continue on the Zapier side. Since it’s the first time you’ve created a Zap for Datadeck, you need to authorize Zapier to access your Datadeck account. To do this you’ll need your Datadeck account’s API key. Click the “Copy API key” button to copy the key to your clipboard for later use in Zapier. You can always find your key in “Account Settings”.
Now click the “Make a Zap!” button, and you’ll see a Zap editor pop-up (login to Zapier if you haven’t yet).

4. Create a Zap in Zapier

The remaining steps are standard stuff if you’re already familiar with Zapier. Just a little background in case you’re not: a simple Zap contains a Trigger and an Action. The Trigger represents an event in a web app (here “a new card is created in Trello”). The Action represents a thing to be done in another web app (here "send a new data row to Datadeck). Let’s see this in action.

Find Trello in the app list:

Choose “New Card” as the trigger event:

Connect to your Trello account if you haven’t:

Select the Board and List of the Trello board you are managing:

Follow the steps where Zapier verifies your Trello connection and fetches sample data. Now it’s time to configure the Action part. Select the “Zapier Connection” you created previously in Datadeck for receiving Trello data.

Search for Datadeck in the app list:

Right now we only have one type of action:

Since it’s the first time you’re using Datadeck in Zapier, you need to connect your Datadeck account to Zapier:

Click “Connect” and paste your Datadeck API key into the popup. Remember that in Step 2 you copied the API into your clipboard? (If you didn’t you can always find it in “Account Settings” in Datadeck.) Please note that you only need to connect your Datadeck account once and can keep using it for future Zaps.

Now we have to the most important step: map data from Trigger to fields in Datadeck. First choose the previously created Zapier connection as Destination:

Then you should see the fields you previously created in Datadeck. Choose what to include in each field. In this Trello example we’re using: “Name” for “Card Name”, “Desc” for “Description” and “Date” for “Last Activity” for “Last Update”:

Wait for the data to be tested. Now it’s time to name your Zap and turn it “on”.

5. Create a widget in Datadeck with your Zapier connection

Now it’s time to claim your reward :). Create a few cards in Trello, and then go back to Datadeck and create a widget with your Zapier connection. It works the same way as any other data connection. Please beware that Zapier has different run schedules based on your plan, so you may need to wait a moment for data to be sent from Zapier to Datadeck.

Hopefully everything has worked out and it was easy to set up. Get in touch with us if you have any difficulty. Our Zapier integration is still in Beta, that’s why we would love your feedback to help optimize our user experience and make sure everyone gets the most out of their data.

Reply to this topic to share your thoughts, ideas and tips.

Have a great data-driven day!
Yiming from Datadeck

Datadeck Newsbites #1

Thanks guys for this cool and super handy integration. I’m pretty sure Zapier will help a lot of users to connect new datasources into Datadeck. To support my feedback I created a quick screen recording that also can be used as a “How to” :wink:

Feedback

• When connecting the Zapier data source in Datadeck I need to know what data I want to fetch from Zapier. Meaning I need to fill out the labels of data (0:55 sec). In my Twitter sample I knew this was coming, but it would be much easier if Datadeck would be fully integrated into Zapier. In that way I would be able to make a full ZAP and then connect it into Datadeck.

• After I connected the Zapier connection in Datadeck (5:04 sec) I was a bit confused on what to do next. I didn’t make a new dashboard yet, neither was I planning to use this data in a current dashboard. I saw my connection… Maybe you guys could figure out a way of telling me the next step… As you can see in the screen recording I got stuck at that point for a while.

Nice! can’t wait to try.

Thanks for the recording, Guy. Very cool! I’m so glad that it worked on your first try :grinning:.

I do share your feeling that requiring to know what fields to create upfront is quite a burden. For the next step we’re planning to do a deeper integration with Zapier templates, exactly as you suggested, so that the entire process is streamlined.

Good point on missing guidance after connection creation. Probably adding a shortcut for creating a new widget would make it easier for you. Will keep thinking about it.

Enjoy and keep connecting more Zaps :grin:.

This is looking impressive.

Is the plan that this Zapier connection would STORE the data within DataDeck? (eg, remove the spreadsheets that I am managing in Google Drive at the moment and instead integrate this directly within DataDeck)

If that is the case - is there a way to reference this historical information in other graphs / tables / etc?

Hi Grant,
thanks for your feedback.

Do we store the Zapier data?
Yes, we store the data we fetch from Zapier in a table based on the Zap your create.

Can you remove the Zap that fetches to a Zap?
Yes, you can stop or pause this Zap and only use the new Zap directly into Datadeck. Although I suggest not to remove the actual Spreadsheet.

Can I use historical data from Zapier?
For this question I don’t have a direct answer… So I will describe 2 scenarios, let me know what you prefer.

Because you already fetched data with Zapier into a Spreadsheet, you probably already have a few months of data. Setting up this new Zap directly into Datadeck, will not give you access to that historical information.

Scenario 1: Merging 2 tables
Imagine you select your Zapier connection in Datadeck and you click “add historical data”, this will give you an option to upload a CSV or XLS file to merge all your data into that new database.

Scenario 2: Managing 2 sources in 1 widget
You create a new widget, in this widget you’ll be able not to select just 1 but potentially multiple data sources. In this case: The new Zap database and secondly the old Spreadsheet you have been using. The data will be merged in the widget and will create a visualization based on all the data together.

grtz Guy

PS. Let me know if one of these scenarios fit your needs or maybe you have your own ideas…